The Silver Spring Time Bank (SSTB) is hosting a Skills Share Swap on Sunday, January 8, 2017 from 2-5pm at the Silver Spring Civic Center. Best of all – it is FREE to attend! This is entirely volunteer-run and is open to the general public. You can pop in for one or two talks and visit a few ask-the-expert tables or stay for the entire event to absorb it all.
Continuing to build on the success of our swapping event series (Clothing Swap, Book Swap, Tool Swap, etc,), this SSTB event is a showcase to the entire community of the talents and skills that Time Bank members have to offer. We hope you will be inspired to join the SSTB, but no pressure! We just want you to enjoy yourself and learn something new for the New Year!!!
Here is a tentative list of the Skill Share talks and expert tables. (As with all live events, final details may change. Check our web site, Facebook page, Twitter page, or event signage for any last-minute adjustments.) We bet after reading the list below that you will find at least one topic of interest.
2:00pm room opening
2:15-2:30pm Pam Holland “Decluttering & Organizing”
2:35-2:50pm Michele Gordon “Use Svaroopa Yoga to Relieve Back Pain the Easy Way”
2:55-3:10pm David Coleman “Resume Writing Tips”
3:15-3:30pm Denny Shaw “How to Find Funding For Your Non-profit”
3:35-3:50pm Mary Duke Smith “Self-defense Skills: Recognizing Early Warning Signs.”
3:55-4:10pm Kathy Carroll “"From Scattered to Calm: A Simple Technique”
4:15-4:30pm Patrick Murphy “Residential Energy Efficiency Tips”
4:35-4:50pm Miriam Mohamed “How to Cut and Sew Reversible Tote Bags”
5:00pm room closes
“Ask the Expert” TABLING ROOM – open from 2-5pm
- Teaching a Child to Read/Supporting a Child Learning to Read ~ Linda Warschoff
- How to Pack School Lunches Your Kids Will Love ~ Drew Joseph
- How do Hypnosis and Meditation Work ~ Desiree Holmes Scherini
- Fitness and Wellness - Figuring out what works for you ~ Mary Duke Smith
- Cooking with Kids and Families ~ Nancy Marucci
- Sewing and Mending Basics ~ Mary Campbell
- Knitting and Crocheting ~ Jodi Bierlair
- Social Media 101: social media marketing on any platform ~ Jennifer Okosun
- Swing Dancing ~ Charlotte Schoeneman
- Using Power Tools: The Basics for Beginners. ~ Jessica Arends
- Thinking of Getting a Parrot? The Mechanics and Ethics of Keeping a Parrot ~ Bob Kirk
- How to dissemble, troubleshoot, & repair Home Electronics ~ Jay KapLon
- Perfect Your Pronunciation of Spanish ~ Emma Muñoz
- How to change your habits and improve your life through Hypnotherapy ~ Tim Hawk
- Krav Maga, a self-defense system. ~ Sandra Elvin and Divya MatheFor more details about the SSTB, see:
WEB SITE: http://www.sstimebank.org/
The Silver Spring Civic Building is at the corner of Fenton St & Ellsworth Dr. It is an eight minute walk north from the Silver Spring Metro Station. Many bus routes can take you to and from the building -- Metrobus F4 and Ride-On #16, #17 and #20 pass by on Fenton St. Metrobus J4 and Ride-On #15 and #19 stop at the corner of Wayne Ave & Fenton St. Metrobus Z6 and Z8 and Ride-On #9 and #12 stop nearby along Colesville Rd. The Metrobus Q and Y lines stop on Georgia Ave and Wayne Ave.
If coming by car, plentiful evening parking is available at the Town Square Garage just across Ellsworth Drive from the Civic Building. Do NOT park in the Whole Foods parking lot or you risk being towed.